At Blum Center for Health, we believe in Food As Medicine. To us, food is much more than calories; it is deeply connected to your health. Research shows that molecules in food can actually change your cells and as a result food can act as powerful, positive medicine. On the contrary, the wrong foods have a negative impact on your blood sugar and insulin levels, your adrenal and thyroid hormones, inflammation throughout your body and how well your body removes toxins. When these foundational systems are out of balance, you can feel sluggish, anxious, depressed, experience “brain fog”, gain weight or have trouble losing it. So rather than counting calories, our BlumKitchen Nutrition Guide & Cookbook shows you how to choose food to balance these foundational systems. We will help you improve your health on the inside, boost your energy level, give your mood a lift and begin to heal your metabolism.
What you will learn in our BlumKitchen Nutrition Guide:
Blum Center for Health is an education center where we teach people how to make the changes that we suggest.
The foundation of our nutritional approach uses food to ensure that your blood sugar and insulin levels stay even all day. This keeps your energy level and your mood stable, prevents weight gain and facilitates weight loss. But it doesn’t stop there. We discuss the kinds of fats that help lower inflammation, what to do about food toxins, how to know if you have food allergies, how to improve your nutrient intake by eating more color, the benefits of herbs and spices and much more.
Our Nutrition Guide includes 10 simple dietary changes. Whether it’s a specific food group or how you are eating, you can make these changes at your own pace.. You can choose to make the changes on 10 consecutive days, or take longer if that suits you. Our goal is to support and teach you the most current information about eating a nutrient-rich diet that will improve your health and your life. This is how we work with patients every day at Blum Center for Health, and now you can do it yourself at home. We give you detailed instructions, shopping lists and recipes that are not only nutritious but also delicious. By the end,you will have made 10 important changes that have the power to change your health—and your life—for good. Our hope is that these changes will be permanent.
The BlumKitchen Nutrition Guide & Cookbook
Table of Contents
- The Food-Energy Connection
- Functional Nutrition: Our approach
- The 10 ChangesStep 1: Eat the rainbow of veggies
- Step 2: Protein with every meal
- Step 3: Eat every 4 hours
- Step 4: Include whole grains
- Step 5: Discover healthy sweets
- Step 6: Fat is good!
- Step 7: The truth about caffeine and alcohol
- Step 8: Making meals mindful
- Step 9: Salt versus spices and herbs
- Step 10: Understanding food toxins
- Our recipes are mostly dairy, gluten, and corn free, with minimal use of soy and eggs. If we include any of these ingredients, it is clearly noted. We have also labeled each recipe based on its health supportive ingredients, such as good for Thyroid, Detox, Digestive Health, or Inflammation. When you view the recipes online, you can sort by the above categories; otherwise the cookbook is organized by:Breakfast
- Soups and Salads
- Veggies and Grains
- Protein-rich Meals
- Mindful Eating Exercise
While we believe everyone should be able to get all their nutrient needs from food, the reality is that most people don’t eat enough nutrient dense food to do so. For this reason, if you are low in energy, or have any other persistent health issue, we recommend you begin our BlumBox Once Daily Packets, a multivitamin/multi-mineral packet, which also includes your daily dose of Omega 3 and Vitamin D. This will cover all your basic needs.