In spite of recent cuts to publicly funded advertising campaigns, the UK has led the charge in effective public health campaigns aimed at promoting preventative measures, including healthy eating and smoking cessation.
Natural Awakenings – Blum Center Combines Integrative Medicine, Education
Mind Body Green – 5 Steps for Women to Ease Their Menstrual Cycle
Making these five simple dietary changes will reduce cramps, bleeding, PMS, and improve your mood in just five weeks.
1. Stop eating red meat, we’re talking beef.
2. Stop all full fat dairy. This means ice cream, cheese, full fat yogurt and all milk. You can have low fat or non fat yogurt and cottage cheese.
3. Increase foods that have omega-3 fats, like nuts, seeds, dark green leafy vegetables. Fish is a good choice, but choose fish that are lowest in mercury, like wild salmon and sardines. Check out EWG for the most updated list.
4. For 3-6 months take 3 nutritional supplements: 1 capsule of Evening Primrose Oil (total GLA should equal at least 250 mg), 1 capsule of Fish Oil (Total EPA + DHA should equal at least 500 mg). Read the labels to confirm the strength and make sure the fish oil is guaranteed pure and free of metals and PCB’s. Finally, the tried and true menstrual herb is called Chasteberry or also called Vitex. The usual dose is 1 twice daily.
5. And finally, remember to breathe. Find some form of daily relaxation to turn off those stress hormones. Balancing your cortisol will have a huge effect on your mood and inflammation, which in turn effect all of your symptoms.
Westchester Magazine – Body, Mind, Spirit
Serendipity – Get Lost, Gluten
Mind Body Green – Food as Medicine
When Socrates said, “Let Food Be Thy Medicine” he was clearly ahead of his time.
There are many common health conditions like reflux (GERD), chronic sinusitis, arthritis, and irritable bowel syndrome that can be treated by a changing your diet. With health care costs going through the roof, it is amazing to me that the simplest and best medicine is also the cheapest. Eliminate certain foods from your diet and you can be cured.
Stacy Knows – Top 5 Tips for Strong Bones
What do cauliflower, broccoli, bok choy, parsley, kale, Brussel sprouts and mustard greens have in common?
For starters, ounce for ounce, these super plant foods contain almost twice as much calcium as milk products, proving that you can literally strengthen your bones with the foods you eat. Healthy bones are truly a fundamental part of our vitality. Essential ingredients for strong bones include the proper kind of calcium and Vitamin D3 as well as stress reduction and exercise.
Spry Living – Considering a Cleanse? Read This First
Cayenne pepper, maple syrup and lemon. Beet-apple juice. Green smoothies. These are just some of the concoctions celebrities have knocked back and publicly endorsed over the years, claiming they not only help you lose weight, but also rid your body of toxins.
But do these so-called “cleanses” deliver? The answer, say medical experts, depends on how well your body’s natural detoxification process works, your daily exposure to toxins and the particular regimen you choose.
Your internal detox system—the liver—already has you on a 24-7 cleanse, says Dr. Susan S. Blum, founder and director of the Blum Center for Health in Rye Brook, N.Y. Read More…
The Beauty Bean – Gluten Free Diets: Should You Give It A Try?
If it seems like everyone and their grandmother is suddenly “gluten-free,” well, they kinda are. It’s been touted as the solution for everything from symptoms of IBS to lack of energy and has even been promoted as the latest and greatest for weight-loss. But is this medically necessary diet for people with Celiac disease right for you?
Dr. Susan Blum, the Founder of Blum Center for Health and Chronic Disease Specialist, is here to help us figure it all out. As Dr. Blum explains, “Although most test negative for Celiac, almost all have a some sensitivity to gluten which can present itself in a wide variety of symptoms. It has been reported that as many as 1 in 20 Americans may have some form of gluten sensitivity but there is currently no test or defined set of symptoms.”
Serendipity – Two Ways to a Younger You
Vitamin A keeps your skin youthful, teeth healthy and eyes clear. It also works as an antioxidant to keep your skin in top shape. Turn to veggies and dairy to tap into this fountain of youth.