By Susan Blum, MD, MPH
1. Stick to your healthy diet during the day if you know you have a holiday party at night. It sounds logical, but it’s easy to start indulging during office parties or grabbing unhealthy snacks while you’re on-the-go. If you stick to a healthy diet all day like veggies and lean protein, you can treat yourself at night.
2. Never leave the house hungry. Have a healthy snack like carrots and hummus around 4-5pm before you leave for your festivities and you’ll be less likely to fill your plate at the party.
3. Taste Everything! Try bites of all the food offerings but leave the rest on your plate. If you ate a snack and you’re not starving, you will be able leave your plate full but still enjoy indulging in the holiday fare.
4. Swap water in between cocktails to stay hydrated and full.
5. Reset on Monday! I always tell my patients to enjoy themselves during special occasions and plan to reboot on Monday with a full day of healthy juices and foods that detoxify the body. It takes the stress and guilt off holiday eating and guarantees to soothe the digestive system and replenish the body with vital nutrients and antioxidants. At Organic Pharmer, we offer a 1 – Day Reboot cleanse just for this purpose! http://www.organicpharmer.com/cleanses/1-day-juice/1-day-juice-cleanse
Wishing you happiness and health this holiday season!